Monday, February 28, 2022

Tasting 2/28: The Williamsburg Winery Cabernet Franc

 


Name: The Williamsburg Winery Cabernet Franc

Variety: Cabernet Franc

Country/Region of Origin: Williamsburg, Virginia, USA

Vintage Year: 2019

Price: $20

Review (from Cellar Tracker): "89/100. Medium ruby with raspberry, herbs, spice and vanilla. Classic profile. Good mouthfeel and medium finish."

My Review: We had this wine served at room temperature. When I smelled the wine, I mainly got a faint smell of raspberry and some herbs, but overall I thought it was not a very fragrant wine. When I tasted the wine, I thought it tasted pretty earthy and full of spices, and I got some berry flavors in the background. I felt that this wine was near the middle of the sweet-dry spectrum but a little closer to the drier side. I thought this wine was mildly acidic and had a medium body. I had this wine with dinner, which was homemade pizza. I thought the spices and earthiness of the wine paired very well with the herbs and fresh tomatoes of the pizza, and I thought each played to the other's strengths. This was my first time having cabernet franc (and the first time I've had wine made in Virginia), and I was very impressed. I could see this wine being a go-to wine, especially with dinners because it paired so well with the pizza. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine & Cheese Pairing 3

  Pairing 1: Carlos Serres Crianza Rioja ( 2018) with Aged Manchego Cheese Impressions of the wine: Our first impression of the wine was th...